Saturday, January 16, 2010

eerste regenachtige dag/first rainy day

I get so excited when it rains. Gives me a good excuse to pull out my wellies! Lucky for us the rain held off until after our trip to the market. This was my second trip and R's first. We walked which is about a nice half hour's walk. The past two days have been warmer so the sheet of death ice that's covered Rotterdam since we've been here has disappeared. Cannot tell you how happy that makes us.

We met up with a classmate of R's last night. He is German, but lived in Canada a while so his German accent is similar to mine (nada) and his girlfriend is Dutch (woohoo!). I had a nice long list of questions for her. As per previous post, turns out Holland was not prepared for the amount of ice it's been getting so streets have been covered in it because they are low on their salt supplies. She also recommended a good butcher and gave us some suggestions for street food at the market.

The market is held Tuesdays and Saturdays. We nibbled our way around and kept running into other classmates and their wives. I went home a happy girl with a big armful of tulips for 4 Euro (about $5.75) for the house. The temperature took quite a drop on our walk back so I made up some more of that soul-warming hot cocoa. The rain started just as R was about to leave for another Uni event. I pulled on my boots and walked him out to get the rest of the groceries we needed for the weekend. (Grocers here are closed on Sundays.) Now, listening to the rain hit our skylights, I'm getting ready to start a movie (got my DVD rental membership this week!) and pop some popcorn on the stove. We were out til about 3am yesterday so this is a perfect Saturday ending for me.

Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment